Located in West Africa, Burkina Faso is a Sahelian country with a primarily tropical climate. It is one of the poorest countries in the world, ranking 161 among 169 nations in the UNDP Human Development Index (2010). More than 50% of the population lives below the income poverty line (PPP $1.25 a day), and it is estimated that 89% of the population does not have access to improved sanitation.
With a projected population of 16 million, Burkina Faso is endemic for all five targeted neglected tropical diseases (NTDs): lymphatic filariasis (LF), onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, soil-transmitted helminthiasis (STH), and trachoma. Therefore, most of the country’s population is at risk of infection from at least one of these debilitating diseases, which cause significant morbidity and can impact the country’s development.
Burkina Faso has implemented an integrated NTD control program since 2007 with the support of the USAID NTD Control Program (NTDCP) and other donors. In 2010, approximately 12.6 million people were treated through USAID support. This national NTD control program has achieved coverage on a national scale for all the diseases except trachoma.
Helen Keller International (HKI) is the designated subgrantee in Burkina Faso for END in Africa activities. HKI has had a strong presence in Burkina Faso since 1999, and its large portfolio of programs covers a diverse range of health and nutrition issues that target vulnerable communities, households, and family members.
Progress in Burkina
In the first half of FY2013, MDA was done for onchocerciasis, lymphatic filariasis (LF) and soil-transmitted helminthiasis (STH) in four of the 47 health districts (HD), and a total of 598,845 people were treated.
LF and STH treatments are being given in the 43 other HDs in May 2013. The schistosomiasis and trachoma campaigns are being conducted in April and May 2013, in 19 and 8 HDs, respectively.
Documents and Resources
- Burkina Faso Country Profile (2016) (pdf 3.3 Mb)
- Burkina Faso Country Profile (2015) (pdf 4.9 Mb)
- Burkina Faso Country Profile (2014) (pdf 1.15 Mb)
- Burkina Faso Work Plan FY2017 (pdf 1.3 Mb)
- Burkina Faso Work Plan FY2016 (pdf 1.2 Mb)
- Burkina Faso Work Plan FY2015 (pdf 1.5 Mb)
- Burkina Work Plan FY2014 (pdf 736Kb)
- Burkina Faso Work Plan FY2013 (pdf 668Kb)
- Burkina NTD Workplan FY2012 (pdf 885Kb)
- @ENDinAfrica award for program excellence highlights progress on #NTDs https://t.co/tkfyyOsTp4 @fhi360 #BeatNTDs
- RT @RTIfightsNTDs: Congrats Togo, 1st in sub-Saharan Africa to eliminate lymphatic filariasis! Proud of MOH & partners @USAIDGH @ENDinAfric…
- Honored to work with partners like @USAIDGH @RTIfightsNTDs to fight NTDs in sub-Saharan Africa. We can #beatNTDs