Togo is a West African country bordered by Ghana on the west, Benin on the east, and Burkina Faso on the north; it has an estimated population of 6.3 million. The country is comprised of six regions, 35 medical districts, 565 dispensaries (Peripheral Health Units, or Unités de Soins de Périphérique [or USPs]), and approximately 7,180 villages.
Togo has a decentralized health system, with the district as the main implementing unit. The main responsibilities of the national neglected tropical disease (NTD) program coordinators are to (1) make national plans in line with to the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations, (2) oversee program implementation, (3) monitor and evaluate the programs, and (4) submit necessary reports. The district medical director and his team are responsible for organizing curative and preventive care activities in the district. The district organizes training of personnel by a train-the-trainers model (cascade training); central level personnel train district personnel, who train the USP nurses, who in turn train the community health workers. This effective organization made nationwide integrated NTD control through mass drug administration possible.
Health & Development International, Inc. (HDI) is the designated subgrantee in Togo for END in Africa activities. HDI has supported initiatives run by the Togo Ministry of Health since 1997 and began promoting integrated NTD control in Togo in 2003.
Documents and Resources
- Togo Country Profile (2016) (pdf 3.3 Mb)
- Togo Country Profile (2015) (pdf 5.0 Mb)
- Togo Country Profile (2014) (pdf 1.8 Mb)
- Togo Work Plan FY2017 (pdf 1.5 MB)
- Togo Work Plan FY2016 (pdf 1.1 Mb)
- Togo Work Plan FY2015 (pdf 831 Kb)
- Togo Work Plan FY2014 (pdf 704Kb)
- Togo NTD Work Plan FY2013 (pdf 651Kb)
- Togo NTD Workplan FY2012 (pdf 745Kb)
- @ENDinAfrica award for program excellence highlights progress on #NTDs https://t.co/tkfyyOsTp4 @fhi360 #BeatNTDs
- RT @RTIfightsNTDs: Congrats Togo, 1st in sub-Saharan Africa to eliminate lymphatic filariasis! Proud of MOH & partners @USAIDGH @ENDinAfric…
- Honored to work with partners like @USAIDGH @RTIfightsNTDs to fight NTDs in sub-Saharan Africa. We can #beatNTDs