Côte d’Ivoire, also called Ivory Coast, is located in West Africa. It borders Guinea and Liberia in the west, Burkina Faso and Mali in the north, and Ghana in the east.
Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) affect all 82 health districts (HDs) in Côte d’Ivoire, putting an estimated 23 million people at risk of contracting one or more diseases. NTDs are debilitating and disproportionately affect the poor and vulnerable, particularly women and children.
While lack of awareness, unsafe health practices, and limited access to safe water and sanitation continue to present challenges, Côte d’Ivoire’s NTD Program is committed to achieving progress against NTDs such as lymphatic filariasis, trachoma, schistosomiasis, onchocerciasis, and soil-transmitted helminthiasis. With support from USAID’s END in Africa project and other partners, Côte d’Ivoire has adopted a strategy to fight these diseases using integrated interventions and the administration of a combination of drugs that cover multiple diseases at the same time.
Achievements in Côte d’Ivoire
- Côte d’Ivoire created an integrated national program for the control of preventative chemotherapy NTDs, consolidating and replacing the previous two programs that were responsible for preventative chemotherapy (PCT) NTDs.
- Mapping completed for schistosomiasis (SCH), soil-transmitted helminthiasis (STH) and onchocerciasis (Oncho). Assessments found SCH in 81 HDs, STH in 83 HDs, and Oncho in 68 HDs.
- Disease assessment and mapping finalized for lymphatic filariasis (LF) and currently underway for trachoma. LF exists in 74 HDs and trachoma is present in 14 HDs.
Documents and Resources
- Côte d’Ivoire Country Profile (2016)
- Côte d’Ivoire Work Plan FY2018
- Côte d’Ivoire Work Plan FY2017
- END in Africa Project Summary (2016)
- Presidential Special Advisor Eugene Owusu announces elimination of trachoma in Ghana—making it the first country in… https://t.co/NivBfV0HTR
- #NTDs in #Burkina Faso: Update on Progress toward Disease Elimination https://t.co/kE3lgyZ52N #beatNTDs #NoMoreNTDs
- RT @ISNTD_Press: #ISNTDFestival 2018 is happening at the Wellcome Trust today. It's not just about the evidence, but how we deliver our mes…