Procurement and Supply Chain Management
Mass drug administration (MDA) is the main line of defense against NTDs. However, effective MDA campaigns require a reliable supply of NTD drugs. To ensure that sufficient drugs are available when needed for MDA campaigns, FHI 360 and JSI work collaboratively on tasks related to drug supply chain management. Specific activities include:
- Provided final supply chain and drug management input to draft country work plans for Niger and Sierra Leone.
- Reviewed the draft Ghana’s NTD Master plan 2012- 2016 and provided input on the supply chain management (SCM) component.
- Developed standard operating procedures (SOP) and complementary training materials in French and English to effectively manage NTD drugs and support the country programs in adapting them to their country-specific situation. The SOP identified include: reverse logistics, storing and inventory control, waste management, medicine handling during and after mass drug administration (MDAs) to maintain quality and ensure ability to track and consolidate supplies, physical inspection of drug packaging, distribution planning including reverse logistics and redistribution, forecasting, customs clearance, and documenting severe adverse effects (SAE).
- Helped national ministries of health (MOH) quantify and procure drugs for upcoming mass drug administration activities.
- Validated drug forecasts from the MOH and END in Africa project sub-grantees against consumption data and stock on hand.
- Provided requested technical assistance to MOH for drug forecasting and supply chain management functions.
- Worked with national governments, MOH and drug producers such as Missionpharma ensure timely delivery, customs clearance, in-country transportation and appropriate warehousing and storage of drug consignments prior to mass drug administration activities.
- Facilitated and streamlined the communications and information-sharing processes for receiving drug shipments.
Photo Credit: ntd-ngdonetwork.org
- Financial analysis, advocacy key to raising resources for #NTD morbidity management @DeloitteGov @fhi360… https://t.co/X44paPcDOw
- @ENDinAfrica award for program excellence highlights progress on #NTDs https://t.co/tkfyyOsTp4 @fhi360 #BeatNTDs
- RT @RTIfightsNTDs: Congrats Togo, 1st in sub-Saharan Africa to eliminate lymphatic filariasis! Proud of MOH & partners @USAIDGH @ENDinAfric…